Subscribe

Thursday 7 May 2009

Myspace Magic: BenSem

The latest Myspace Magic band to be featured hail from Wales. BenSem is a melodic pop quartet who are destined to enjoy their fair share of glory in 2009. They have just released released their debut album, 'Western Lights' which can be downloaded for free via their myspace page. NME-E spoke to them recently and found out a little more.

NME-E: Who are you and how did you start?
BS: We are called BenSem. We are four guys based in South Wales. We have Sem on lead vocals and acoustic guitar, he also writes the songs. Pete Rawbone is our lead guitarist, Ads Jones bass guitar and finally Stevie Allen is our drummer extraordinaire.

NME-E: What's the name all about then?
BS: The name of the band has a long winded answer so I will try and make it as short as possible. My last name is Semmens so that is where Sem comes from. The first part Ben is what people have also used as my nick name, its like an alter ego. I have a habit of going a bit insane when I get excited. When I am acting crazy they call me Ben. Put them together and you get BenSem, which to me means just going for it, and not being what other people expect you to be.

NME-E: What do you sound like?
BS: People ask us that question a lot and its quite hard to pigeon hole the music. If you listen to our album you get some rock, indie, pop, a latin vibe. I think the one thing I can say is that it is all easy listening music and melodic.

Having had a good listen to 'Western Lights' this week, I can totally identify with the easy listening and melodic part. At a time where garage and grit is order of the day, it's nice to hear an album with a bit of thoughtful melody and this is just the tonic.

Ballads like 'Why I Cry' and, in particular , 'Constant Dream' - a delicate moment of touching pop, a track to take you away from constant reality - are wonderfully accompanied by a number of simple yet effective pop tracks, where 'Sunshine' and 'Prepared' stand out.

NME-E: What are your releases to date?
BS: Apart from the album, we have released one single, but this year holds a lot more.


NME-E: You're going on tour, so who would you choose to support you?

BS: If I could pick to support any band it would be Counting Crows. I can see it now the band and Counting Crows sipping Jack Daniels backstage having a deep and meaningful on the meaning of life. Walking on that stage playing in front of thousands. That would kick ass.

NME-E: What's your favourite album at the moment?

BS: It has to be the new Kings Of Leon album. Every since I put it on my mp3 player its been on repeat. The album is so deep and diverse, and it takes you on a journey. I have a lot of respect for those boys.

NME-E: Finally, What does the next year hold for BenSem?
BS: We are releasing two singles this year. Recording a new song that will be released end of the Summer. We have a few videos to make . We are in discussions with a few labels. We are also finalising details with a booking agent. This year is looking like its going to be a good one for us.

Well, the early signs certainly indicate it will be.


NME-E would naturally like to thank Sem and the crew for talking to us. You know the score, so go give them a listen. There are 4 tracks on their myspace page, which are sure to convince you that the album is worth downloading. That's what happened to me.


Last 5 NME-E interviews:
The Does (Malta)
The Breaks (Sheffield, UK)
So Shush (Salford, UK)
Strawhouses (Liverpool, UK)
Loveday Fools (Scarborough, UK)

Read all NME-E interviews

0 comments: