Subscribe

Tuesday 27 January 2009

Myspace Magic: The Rocks

Having focused on bands from Europe in the Myspace Magic section, today sees us jet across the pond to feature The Rocks, who hail from Michigan in the US.

Another band who found me (?) and whose typically American sound is extremely pleasant on the ears. The quartet have one full album release to their name, "Your Calling", although they are yet to have signed to a label. After checking their tracks out on the myspace page ('Grassy Knoll' was an instantly likeable track), I decided nme-europe needed to hit the States and band member Michael Martin was kind enough to tell us a little about them. Here's what he had to say:

NME-E: Who are you and how did you come about?
MM: The Rocks are Michael Martin (me), Pat Hamill, Mike Banks, and Matt Brach. Pat and I went to grade school together but didn't really hang out much until we were about 12. Then one night he and some of our other friends came over to my house, and we picked up my electric guitar and other instruments that were around and immediately began jamming and writing original songs. After that night, Pat and I continued to meet up to write and record songs and it's basically been that way ever since. Over the last summer, we started work on our first official album, and with the additions of Mike Banks (drummer) and Matt Brach (bass), The Rocks are now a complete group.

Quite a cool "how we came about" story. 'Picked up my electric guitar one night and started to play'. Class!

NME-E: Tell me about your releases to date?

MM: So far we have release on LP, 'Your Calling'. An EP will be released in the spring.

The album is available through their myspace page.


NME-E: If you could choose a band to support you, who would it be?
MM: Well, given our current level of fame, any band we chose would deserve to have us support them, not the other way around, but I guess if we realistically had to choose a group to tour with it would be someone like Wilco.

Figures. There's a definite air of Mr. Tweedy in their music, albeit with a slightly darker sound.

NME-E: What was your favourite album of 2008?

MM: I honestly don't have a good answer for this one because I don't follow indie rock much, and despite some good mainstream singles being put out in '08, the remaining tracks from the albums they were on largely amounted to fiberglass insulation. I will, however, go on record saying that I enjoyed the new Portishead album.

Not sure I liked Portishead that much, but I DO agree (and wished I had described it so eloquently!) with the fiberglass insulation decription of a large proportion of last year's material.

NME-E: What are your objectives/prospects for 2009?
MM: Play as many shows as humanly possible, get picked up by a label, and get the foundations poured for our mansions.

Well, they certainly have their ideas clear, both in terms of their music and their objectives. As per usual, give them a chance - the trip to the States is a much nice prospect since Mr. Obama arrived, so why not start now?


Needless to say, a big "Thank You" to Michael and The Rocks for collaborating with me. I wish them all the best for the near future.

2 comments:

Juan Francisco Hernández said...

Hola Nick, acabo de ver en la web Hipersónica, que anuncian los primeros nombres para el SOS 4.8 y no tiene mala pinta: PJ Harvey, Spiritualized, Babyshambles, Los Planetas, Those Dancing Days, Russian Red y El Guincho.
Habrá que ir sacando el abono.
La dirección es:
http://www.hipersonica.com/2009/01/29-el-sos-48-anuncia-sus-primeros-nombres
Un abrazo

Nick C said...

Thanks Brother.

That's a pretty impressive line up, better than the Pet Shop Boys!

In particular, Those Dancing Days and Los Planetas and, even though I'm not a massive fan of theirs, I'm sure Babyshambles would be an interesting experience!

Take it easy.

Nick