Subscribe

Monday 19 January 2009

Weekly Round Up (19 Jan 2009)

Welcome to this week's round up.

New Releases
A new feature for 2009 will be my attempt at reviewing the best releases around. Can't promise it will be a weekly affair, but it will at least help me remember which albums I liked when it comes round to choosing my Top 10 sometime in December!

After a relatively quiet (indeed, silent) start to the year, this week sees two albums gracing my page with their presence.


White Lies - 'To Lose My Life'






Second - 'Fracciones De Un Segundo'



Given that the albums were only available on Monday and Tuesday respectively, it's a bit early for me to review them with a ny real criteria, so if you'll forgive me I'll write a real analysis next week. For now, you'll have to make do with the covers. Initial feeling is good though!

Myspace Magic
Alexis Blue have been busy this week! They've uploaded a few tracks to their myspace and have also announced a couple of gigs over the next two months. They'll be in Sheffield on February 9, playing at The Harley. Doors open at 8pm and entrance is free! Following that they'll be back in Liverpool on March 14, this time at the O2 Academy, tickets priced at 5 quid - definitely worth it!

Newcomers (at least to this blog!), The Trestles have also uploaded some new tracks to their myspace ahead of an EP release. They are the latest band to make it on to the Myspace Magic list and hopefully I 'll get the chance to feature them in the near future.

And finally....

Couldn't finish this week without paying tribute to The Astoria in London, which closed it doors for good, awaiting demolition to accommodate the new crossrail structure. Cajun Dance Party and Good Shoes participated in the send off prior to the demolition of a venue which has seen some of the greatest musical acts of all time take its stage during its 30 year history.


London Astoria RIP

0 comments: