Subscribe

Tuesday 24 February 2009

Album Review: Morrissey


Morrissey: Years Of Refusal (Decca)


1. Something Is Squeezing My Skull
2. Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
3. Black Cloud
4. I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
5. All You Need Is Me
6. When I Last Spoke To Carol
7. That's How People Grow Up
8. One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
9. It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
10. You Were Good In Your Time
11.Sorry Doesn't Help
12. I'm OK By Myself

Two weeks ago Morrissey revealed The Smiths would not reform ever, which despite shattering a few pipedreams, was perfectly logical to his army of loyal fans.

What worries everyone more is the fact that the legend is thinking about retirement, as he himself hinted during a recent promotional interview. If, as he declares, he really has only five years left, we must treasure every offering until D-day arrives and there's no better way to start your personal homage than by getting your hands on a copy of 'Years Of Refusal'.

Fact. Morrissey is one of the greatest lyricists EVER. No one in their right minds should challenge that and a quick listen to his latest offering should quickly remove any lingering doubts. His innate lyrical ability to combine irony, melancholy, egocentricty, arrogance, perverted romance and self pity come to the fore once again coupled with a combination of raucous guitars, violent drums and succulent strings where required.

'Something Is Squeezing My Skull' openly mocks modern life, 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris' talks of impossible love, while 'All You Need Is Me' and 'I'm OK By Myself' are typically self-proclaiming. Personal favourite 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore' with Morrissey vocally perfect is the icing on the cake.

An added bonus are the references to the end, no more so than on 'One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell', which seems to forecast that the light may soon stop shining although it will never go out.

Top Track: It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
Album Rating: 9/10

Check out the youtube video of 'I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris' (there's about 25 seconds of nonsense before it starts and and load of ads afterwards, sorry!)


0 comments: